Photo Courtesy of Los Angeles Times

Senioritis: This is {NOT} the end

November 15, 2017

As fall semester is coming to an end, some seniors are already saying goodbye to Oak Grove High School. While I will be here until May of 2018, feeling a little nostalgic for a handful of fellow students who will walk the halls for the last time in late December, is inevitable.

Research shows that most students’ grades tend to drop towards the ends of the school year. Our generation has created a title for this behavior, specifically for high school and college seniors, labeling it “senioritis.” According to Wikipedia, senioritis is the “lack of motivation toward studies displayed by students who are nearing the end of high school, college, or just school year in general,” and it is kicking in hard right about now.

Students of all ages have the thought: “Ugh I don’t want to go to school,” or “I wonder what would happen if I don’t actually do that assignment?” However, seniors think they are the exception to all class and school rules. I pull into the school at 8:13, knowing the tardy bell rings at 8:15, and sit in the parking lot with the idea that they will not mark me tardy just because I am a senior. Well, I had a little reality check as I was signing that tardy sheet two minutes later.

I notice fellow classmates not showing up for class or bothering to turn in assignments in time. Some have no care in the world for grades or consequences. I agree that doing busy work is pointless, but I still want to be exempt for my last few exams.

The only thing keeping my grades from going down the drain are the college scholarship opportunities. Just because seniors’ time in high school is coming to an end, it does not mean it is time to give up. Suck it up and finish strong.

The Warrior Beat • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in