Oak Grove honors three National Merit Semifinalists

Back to Article
Back to Article

The National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) was established in 1955 during the Cold War when there was concern the United States was behind in the scientific race. In response, the National Merit Scholarship Program was founded to identify and honor scholastically gifted American youth, and to encourage them to use their abilities to the fullest extent.

Through this nationwide competition, in collaboration with the PSAT, National Merit Scholarships are awarded to recognize both Semifinalists and Finalists. Foror students enrolled in their junior year, the PSAT is offered, and from this standardized test, top percentile students are acknowledged. Semifinalists must then complete a collection of essays, then take the SAT to validate their previous scores, potentially becoming a Finalist. National Merit Finalists are awarded with the guarantee of scholarships and acceptance into elite colleges across the globe.

Oak Grove High School continues to have several National Merit scholars proudly representing our school. This year the Warriors have three Semifinalists: Hannah Cantrell, Ryan Davis, and Julianna Hinton. “I felt very confident, and felt as though my studying and determination prior to the test were finally validated,” Cantrell said. “My next step is to achieve National Merit Finalist status and succeed in college under those benefits.” Ryan Davis said he achieved this honor by “taking Humanities and practicing at home.” He will continue the process by taking the SAT to confirm his score. Juniors have already completed the PSAT for this school year, but many sophomores and freshman will continue to strive to receive this high honor.