Oak Grove High School Varsity Cheer team wins State Championship!

Photo Courtesy of Carley Hand via Twitter
Seniors (from left to right) Carley Hand, Madison Eguia, and Natalie Rahaim posing with their championship banner.

The Oak Grove High School Varsity Cheerleading team won a State Championship at their competition Saturday in Jackson. This is the first time since 2015 that the Oak Grove cheerleaders placed first in the state.

At the beginning of December, the team won first in the large varsity division at the UCA Dixie Regional competition, “hitting” their routine with zero deductions and beating their hardest rival, Desoto Central. This win was necessary to advance to the State Championship.

The group competed in the medium varsity division this past Saturday, and all but one of the team’s 20 members were able to perform, due to injury. The team is known for their dedication to the sport, practicing almost every day both during and after school.

“We had so many tough practices where we all left in tears or wanting to give up, but thankfully we never did,” said sophomore Riley Atkinson.

Carley Hand, who has cheered on the Warriors since seventh grade, was ecstatic to take home her second State Championship ring.

“Usually, the competition atmosphere is very nerve-racking,” said Hand, “and this year felt different… we were so prepared.” Hand continued, saying, “…I knew my goal and, if I didn’t reach my goal, there was no next year or any other chance. It was so much fun to compete this year… all of our hard work paid off.”

Oak Grove Cheerleaders competed the perfect routine, collecting zero deductions for the second time this season. All of the cheerleaders’ hard work paid off, and they beat Desoto Central to claim the state title. Oak Grove High School, along with numerous friends and family members, took to social media to express their pride in the newest State Championship added to the team’s myriad of accomplishments.