The Warrior Beat

Archery wins their first meet of the season

Oak Grove High School’s archery team won their first meet of the season against Columbia Academy on Tuesday, February 6.

The archery team traveled to Columbia Academy where they started off the first meet of the season. They won with a score of 3200 to 3140. This became the record for the highest starting score at OGHS. Sophomore Shelby Smith was the top scoring archer with a score of 282 out of 300.

“It was cool,” Smith said. “I could have done better, but it’s still high enough that I’m not disappointed.”

“The meet lasted for three flights,” Alana Donohue said. “Each flight is about an hour, so it’s basically like an endurance race with the members needing to have stamina as much as aiming.”

The archery team members shoot off sights. “Sights are basically like scopes,” sophomore Bailey Kemp said. “They help people aim. We aren’t allowed to use those.” The members shoot from a distance of 10-15 meters. The members are not allowed to use sights because it is illegal to use them. The competition is based on precision shooting which makes using the sight as a cheating defense.

“Shelby and I have a bet,” Donohue said. “If any of the members can make a 290, they will be able to color my hair like a rainbow. I am all for it because it’s just hair, and Shelby was really close to it last night. She seems really intent on coloring my hair, and I believe she will be able to do it and break the school record.”

The team’s next meet will be held on Tuesday, February 13 at Temple Baptist Church. The meet will last for three flights. Each flight will start at 2, 3, and 4 o’ clock. Students are welcome to come and support the team during their given release time. There is no entry fee.

“I think we’re going to do better this year,” Donohue said. “I’m really looking forward to going to Nationals. The team has gone so far, and I know they’re going to do good. I really believe we can make it to Nationals this year.”

The Student News Site of Oak Grove High School