• February 19The Golden Spirit dance clinic and tryouts will be from February 26 to March 1.

• February 19Spring Break will be on March 11-17.

• February 19Varsity Cheerleading tryouts will be on March 7-9.

The Warrior Beat

Refuse to lose: Oak Grove soccer advances to South State

Photo Courtesy of Chuck Lick

The Warrior and Lady Warrior soccer teams are on the road to a South State championship. With nearly undefeated seasons, the two soccer teams are approaching their respective games with rising levels of excitement and Warrior Pride.

Maggie Starns, junior Co-Captain of the Lady Warrior soccer team, has played a vital role in the past two victories. In the first round of playoffs, the Lady Warriors shutout Biloxi by a score of six to zero, where Starns assisted in one goal. In the second round of playoffs on Friday night, the Lady Warrior defeated Ocean Springs by a close score of three to two. Starns scored once and assisted in one goal.

“We are trying to take one game at a time,” said Starns. “I am so proud of everyone and their heart to push through every game we’ve played.”

Rebekah Baugh, a sophomore member of the Lady Warrior soccer team, scored two goals and assisted in one goal during the first round of playoffs against Biloxi.

“My team is standing in a great position as we go on to face Brandon for the South State title,” said Baugh. “We want it more than we have ever before, and I think this year is our year.”

Blake Ortego, a member of the Warrior soccer team at Oak Grove, plays both right and left wing. In the first round of playoffs, Blake scored once and assisted in one goal, helping defeat Biloxi by a score of five to three. In the second round of playoffs, the Warriors defeated Ocean Springs by a score of three to one. Blake added six defensive headers and 12 defensive tackles to that defeat.  

“I am so proud of every one of my boys,” said Ortego. “We are definitely on the path to success and greatness. Going for our first state win ever!!!”

The Student News Site of Oak Grove High School