OGHS students attend Hamilton

Oak Grove High School students had the opportunity to see Hamilton at the Saenger Theatre in New Orleans this past Friday, March 29.

“It’s such a cool show to watch live,” junior Chloe Davis said. “The music is awesome, and they used a revolving stage that makes the choreography and blocking stand out!”

U.S. History teacher Sarah Folkes found out about this opportunity through an email she received from The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History. Gilder Lehrman partnered with Hamilton to give eligible schools the chance to see the Tony Award-winning musical for $10 a ticket.

“I thought it would be a great experience for our students,” Folkes said. “So, I applied for Oak Grove to get a chance.”

Oak Grove High School was picked as one of the schools to attend. Seven history teachers took seventy students, grades 9-12, to go see it.

“It was a surreal experience,” senior Erin Choi said. “I loved getting to see the soundtrack I had fallen in love with come to life.”

Before the performance, students sat in on a Q&A with the cast of previously submitted questions, asking about the audition process and their experiences traveling with Hamilton.

“I liked seeing and listening to the cast members,” said Davis.  “It was interesting hearing their perspectives before watching the show.”

Hamilton continues to travel around the country and bring this educational program to other cities for their schools.

“I am so fortunate to have gotten to see Hamilton through the program,” Choi said. “I am so grateful and so inspired by the cast members and the story.”