The Warrior Beat

Lady Warriors annihilate the Gulfport Admirals: Moving forward to second round of playoffs

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Lady Warriors varisty volleyball team with their coaches.

Photo Courtesy of Oak Grove Volleyball via Twitter (@og_volleyball)

The Oak Grove High School Lady Warriors varsity volleyball team beat the Lady Admirals of Gulfport last night with a set count of 3-1 in the first round of playoffs. Hosted at the Oak Grove volleyball facility, this marked the first game between the two teams this season.  

The playoffs were set up in a “one-and-done” manner – if a team lost a match, they were out of the playoffs.

Before the match, the Lady Warriors held a record of 8-17 and were ranked 31st in the state. The Lady Admirals held a record of 26-8 and were ranked 12th in the state. During the 2017-2018 regular season, the two teams have faced many of the same opponents, both losing to Our Lady Academy, Ocean Springs, and Hancock.

When asked to describe team morale before the game, sophomore Alex Perren said, “We had a very positive outlook. We were physically as well as mentally prepared for Gulfport. We watched videos of them playing and looked over their stats. We also worked on specifically what we knew they were going to do during practice.”

Oak Grove’s Lady Warriors have been meticulously studying film, notes, and stats on Gulfport, and practicing accordingly for the past week.

The head coach of the Lady Warriors, Sherry Wallace, said, “Our team was so hungry and ready for this game… We played with heart tonight! We were aggressive at the net and out defense was amazing tonight.”

Coach Wallace chose senior Ansley Brent as last night’s most valuable player. Brent says, “My team means the world to me, and I’m so proud of all we have accomplished together! I can’t wait to see all the great things we will do in the rest of our season!”

About the Writer
Anna Pittman, Copy Editor

Anna Pittman is a junior at Oak Grove High School and is a writer, designer, and editor for the Warrior Beat. This is her second year on staff. In her...

• Lady Warriors annihilate the Gulfport Admirals: Moving forward to second round of playoffs

School

Warrior swim team advances to state meet

School

Oak Grove varsity football’s warpath

• School

Refuse to lose: Oak Grove soccer advances to South State

• School

Archery wins their first meet of the season

School

Zachary Fielder Signs to William Carey

School

Oak Grove High School Golden Spirits win two state titles!

School

Oak Grove High School Varsity Cheer team wins State Championship!

School

Oak Grove Cheer hits zero: Varsity team wins first place at competition

School

Alex Miller sets new state swim record

School

Kade Shannon commits to be a Ragin’ Cajun

The Student News Site of Oak Grove High School